Friday 25 August 2017

Sacred Steel at Sacred Heart and a Little Planning Workshop at Northen Ballet

It was the last week of term, and the last time I will do a concert at this fab school. Year 6 were in two halves for this. We played,as ever, steelpans, djembes and glocks and we played one tune each: Twinkle Twinkle  [easy to sing and do the signs for, and deceptively difficult to play [quick changing chords]] and Sledging [a Russian folksong from my Foxwood Songbook: Kids Two, quite obviously difficult to play with its rocking fast chords and melody].

I have no pics from this lovely event, but I wanted to give it a mention. Important concerts aren't just  the big public events. Here in schools is where they are and where it all starts.



After the concert it was to Northern Ballet for a Planning Workshop.  We were me, Keisha, Xolani and Philippa. We ran through some ideas for the summer school, and I was so pleased that Keisha wanted to feature the Sparrows' version of Swan Lake in some way. Although this did seem to involve me having to play the melody live. Hmmm. Speaking as a life-long ensemble player, scary. [The steelpans in the mirror pictures look like Viviane Westwood skirts on us].


No comments:

Post a Comment