Sunday 8 February 2015

East Steel and some Steelettes play North Leeds Music Centre Concert


Okay Debs, it's seriously seasonal now.

East Steel get to play as people assemble for North Leeds Music Centre Concert. We are me, Lynn, Anne, Wanda, Kirsty, Vicky, Pippa, Sophie, Yi Bai drumming and Steelettes making their debut: Leah, Margaret, Josie, all of whom I have persuaded to play singles. On account it's me carting the blooming instruments around in my trusty blue Transit, and while everyone mucks in at the venue, at home it's a different matter!



Either I cart the lot up the garden myself, or spend time and effort into bargaining with a member of my family, or even just pleading!

Anyway, Head of Centre, Mark and I would like to offer steel pans as a class in spring [spring, I mean, late even more winter!] so we thought a little giggette would be a good place to start. And so it was.

For the record, East Steel started as a music centre class in 1999, in the actual building where I started my teaching career: Foxwood School. In 1999 it had already become East Leeds Family Learning Centre, and I persuaded whoever [Stella, maybe] to pay me to teach a class there as a satellite to East Leeds Music Centre, and I persuaded whoever was i.c. ELFLC to let me use the space at the back of the hall. This pic below is probably East Steel's first YAMSEN:SpeciallyMusic appearance at Leeds Town Hall [and exactly ten years later, Tamanna, in the middle of the picture below, played at The Royal Albert Hall with award-winning Leeds Silver Steel Sparrows].



No comments:

Post a Comment