Saturday 17 December 2016

Steelpan Workshops at Roundhay School Leeds

 


It is Friday 21 October 2016 and after four gigs inside six days I have rearranged my vans n pans at ridiculous o'clock a.m. and am speeding towards Roundhay School, Leeds for some staff well-being steelpan workshops. Well they were just the best!



Tim, ic 6th support and other things, contacted me, found out that 6th-former, Bella was about to play St Paul's Cathedral; so we enlisted her support for the staff who usually support her.


Between the Little Blue van and the Big White I had the Foxwood pans for M and S Monday and the Chemic Thursday, the Sparrows pans for St Paul's [London, actually!] and now also some workshop pans for the lovely support staff at Roundhay. Good thing we use the same kit for all things pan! And that the van robbers only took a snare, its cradle and a little tom.





Well, we did the usual Largo in F, Largo in G, Au Clair de La Lune, when, before you could say Scooby Dooby Doo, we were onto Next to Me and Yankee Doodle.





Does also need saying that I am doing this workshop on behalf of Leeds ArtForms Music Service and using my Foxwood Songsheets. Along with the most lovable Roundhay staff, that is a winning combination.

Best moment was possibly when I asked the headteacher if he was the caretaker. Neil took this as a compliment [which, in some ways, it was], announced this to the staff and invited me to elaborate publicly. Lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment