Wednesday 9 March 2016

The Lovely Teacher Trainees of Huddersfield in Halifax

In the all the excitement that was the London Underground I forgot the blog for Huddersfield and Halifax. So here it is, irritatingly for me, one blog out of sequence and making absolutely no difference to the reader. [Reader, I live in hope!]

In what is optimistically called the spring term half term holiday, I woke up before I normally go to bed, and was in Halifax before I normally get up. Ralph picked me up from the station, and took me up to Trinity.



After the shock of getting up at 5am the workshop was ace. Hazel let me loose on all her pans; the students were to a woman and a man, lovely [thanks to Lucy for dancing], and the biscuits - Garibaldi [say no more!]

I love teaching music graduates, especially those thinking of teaching. They have all the talents and all the skills while still being happy to go back to the beginning: chord, and an other chords, change chords, share out chords with a partner, songs with two chords in, with three, with two chords in one bar [now that's advanced] tunes for a bar, for two bars, what you want to the whole eight bars! A sixteen bar song?

And I met Kevin, who was Head of Service, who looked at me and said, "Music For Youth 2005?". And then he recalled seeing the Sparrows walking on stage at the Birmingham Conservatoire; he was sitting behind the judges; he said you walked with I can only describe an interesting set of teenagers, and you started to play. Words to the effect that the hairs on his arms stood up; the judges in front of him stopped writing and slowly rose their heads. At the end they just said "Wow".
Confidence jumped off the stage and decided to conduct

Thinking back, that was our first year, and was 2006; I think we started, as ever, with something slow and haunting, and it was probably Dance of the Knights from Romeo and Juliet. I asked Kevin if he had any more stories like that. So good for the self-esteem. [Have now looked back through records and that we played Clocks and Swan Lake calypso].

No comments:

Post a Comment